2010-02-03

5 Cent Bag Tax Having Great Results in Washington DC. By Matt Yglesias, ThinkProgress, January 25, 2010. "There's a supermarket on my block and I'm a terrible planner, so I go to the supermarket a lot. Consequently, I've had plenty of opportunity to gather anecdata on the impact of DC's new initiative to impose a five cent tax on plastic grocery bags. My key observations are that I hear a ton of whining about how terrible this new tax is, and also a lot of people engaging in tax-avoiding behavior -- canvass bags, cramming stuff into backpacks, carrying items by hand. In other words, it looks to be a stunning success! The five cent fee is actually very small but people really hate paying it. Apparently it's led to something like a 50% reduction in bag usage."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment